Sign up for free email updates (sidebar on the right) to get recent updates and to stay in-the-know on the fab upcoming sales. Photo Timothy K Hamilton
Fashion Hippo questions Valentine’s Day. The Hippo wonders if it is a real holiday vs. an artificially invented one. After all, does one really need to have a designated day in a year to show love? What about the other 364 days in a year (or 365 in a leap year)? Do you just ignore the one you’re with on those days? And what does celebrating love really has to do with candy, flowers, jewelry, and greeting cards?
Given all of the above the Hippo has a strong, sneaking suspicion that Hallmark invented V Day in a conspiracy to make money. With flower shops, candy makers, and jewelry boutiques jumping on the wagon.
After all, according to Wikipedia, the U.S. Greeting Card Association estimates that approximately one billion valentines are sent each year worldwide, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year behind Christmas. The association estimates that women purchase approximately 85 percent of all valentines.
Over the years, the Hippo also couldn’t help but to notice that when you are a couple (at least a couple who’s been together a respectable amount of time), Valentine’s Day(VD) feels just like another day. However, if you are single, VD has hidden powers to make a person feel lonely, unloved, and overall miserable. And as a result, prompting even more emotional shopping. Thus, conspiracy.
But it is, what it is, and you are most likely going to buy and get gifts to celebrate in some way, therefore…
Here are some tips on Valentine’s Day gift giving:
- Avoid artificially created need – if you are going to buy gifts, instead defaulting to typical candy & jewelry, use this holiday to buy something you actually need and have been wanting for some time. After all, since we’re no longer 5 years old and probably have easy access to sweets throughout the house.
- Forgo The Flowers – Hippo is divided on the topic. On one hand, flowers are a classic and beautiful gesture. On the other hand, something about someone at the top of Hallmark management chain saying: “Today, you will get up and buy cards & flowers for your significant other, because I designated this day to be The Love Day”, feels inherently wrong.
A better scenario would be: “I got up today, realized I love you, and got you flowers just because of that and no other reason.”
- Go Green – When the price allows, green. The shopping options below, list eco-friendly alternatives, at non-echo prices.
- Invest in Experiences – Although material gifts often cost the same as experiences in monetary value, experiences are just so much more valuable in emotional currency. Consider investing in experiences and getting a massage, a hotel for a night, or be daring and go on a balloon ride.
- Cards – The Hippo feels that any gift should have a personal touch. A hand written personal note on a distinctive stationary is always a nice touch. However, in an effort to avoid cliché’s, perhaps instead of buying a pre-worded card from Hallmark, try buying basic stationary with an envelope and writing from the heart.
Another great modern alternative is to create a personalized digital card via SmileBox. Upload photos of your best personal moments to create a collage or a card with multiple images .
- Presentation – The Hippo believes that presentation is very important. Almost as important as the gift itself. So whether you are wrapping the gift or simply placing in it in a gift bag with tissue paper, a tastefully well-put together gift makes a great difference. Devil is in the details.
Having said all this, while the Hippo questions the underlying currents that govern Valentine’s days spending, she is a strong supporter of celebrating one’s love and nurturing that special person in your life.
So if you choose V-day to celebrate your significant other(or need self-pampering), here are a few useful, unique, eco-chic, and humorous sites & options to consider.
Eco-Chic Fashion Sites:
1. Nimli – sells organic, eco chic apparel and accessories. Check out their amazing selection of pashmina’s. They have a spectacular variety of styles, fabrics, and colors. Fabrics are cashmere, wool, silk, or a combination of these. Color selection is vast: a whooping 110 available colors to pick from. The prices are spectacular, starting from $34 + apply 20% off (code below). Azuri Classic Cashmere Pashmina Shawl – 110 Colors
-Search “Scarves and Wraps” on Nimli site for other Pashmina Styles/Weaves and Lower Prices
-Enter Code VDAY08 for 20% off.
-S&H $5 or Free Over $100. Nimli uses green shipping option, where each designer ships directly to the consumer, thus eliminating double shipping.
2. The Green Loop – Shop The Green Loop for eco-luxury apparel such as: Loomstate, Edun, Stewart+Brown, Lara Miller, Melissa Shoes.
Check out their sale section, especially shoes.
Can’t Say “No” Gift:
Apple iPod touch 16 GB (2nd Generation) – For those who are locked in a phone contract with another provider (other than At&T), but want the slick features that IPhone has without breaking the contract.
iPod Touch has the same features as iPHone(without the phone), but No phone contract required. Comes with pre-installed internet connection, which works for free within internet wired zones (such as Starbucks, Barnes & Nobles, etc.) Great for someone who wants Apple Iphone features without having to enter into a phone contract.
2nd Gen. Ipod Touch is smaller and thinner. It also has a volume changer like the iPhone (not currently visible.) Also features a built-in speaker. Also available in 8gb and 32 gb.
Stuff White People Love – Blogger turned writer, Christian Lander wrote this humorous book, which features an entertaining list of things that white people covet. Things white people love are ranked in order of popularity. Things that make top the list are: Yoga, Organic Food, and Starbucks Coffee.
What do you think about Valentine’s Day? Necessary or Artificially Created?
Post in comments.
If you found this article useful or entertaining or both, please Digg, Stumble, or add to Delicious via “Share” icons below. Much appreciated 🙂